Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Homemade Deodorant: the deets

Awhile back, I posted that I was going to make homemade Deodorant for B. I wanted to wait until we could find out if it really worked before posting about the recipe. I found numerous sources, but I want to let you know if some tips.

It really does work! I was the weird wife going around smelling my husband's pits for a few days. No smells! Great! Just one snag... He broke out. He thinks it was just the oil in it, I don't know. I may revisit this and try a few variations.

Here is the recipe I used:

Homemade Deodorant
3 tablespoons Coconut Oil
1/4 cup Baking Soda
1/4 cup Cornstarch

Mix all ingredients together and store in a container.

Simple, right? It is. I had never made this before and never worked with coconut oil. Well, it's completely solid in my apartment. I thought maybe I could just spoon out what I need and microwave it. Nope! I just had to get a bunch, microwave it, then measure. I wasn't sure how warm it would get or if it would burn so I would go a minute, and watch, and stir and continue until it was liquid.

Another thing I learned. You can store it in an empty deodorant container. If your bottom is plastic with holes like mine was, leave the excess deodorant in the holes. I didn't and it sank to the bottom. After putting it in the fridge to firm it up, we had to use pliers to turn the sucker. I think if I had left the thing alone it wouldn't have happened.

Also,  I had to double the recipe to get it remotely tall enough to completely fill the empty container. If only it hadn't made B break out, it would've been perfect. Oh well, maybe C or I could use it!

Any homemade ideas you are itching to try out? Tried some that turned out completely wrong? Or maybe didn't work? Do tell!

XOXO
Jes

No comments:

Post a Comment