Thursday, July 11, 2013

Ask me or B

I took a break from posting yesterday so I hope I didn't lose anyone! Today is another meat post involving ground beef. It is another family favorite here. Even when I make a double batch for Charity and I, there is still only a little left for one or two sandwiches for B. Its my Homemade Sloppy Joes. A little backstory: I ate this recipe as a kid, just not in my own home. My aunt always made it and I spent a lot of time with her and my uncle during summers and on weekends. When I moved into my own place, I wanted her recipe. My dad always made it by just putting BBQ sauce with ground beef. No thanks. So, here is my aunt's recipe:

Homemade Sloppy Joes

1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar (yes, sugar, trust me on this)
Ketchup (I have no measurement for this, I am sorry)

-Cook your ground beef in a skillet and drain the excess fat.
-Lower your temperature on the stove to LO; add the sugar, vinegar and mustard.
-Mix well and start adding ketchup. I always add enough to coat the beef. Mix well between adding in more ketchup. Taste it, if it tastes right to you, you are done. If not, add a little more ketchup, stir and taste. I have gotten to the point that I just add enough ketchup to make it look "sloppy". I think its close to a cup.
-Serve on a bun or as we have always done, open face on a slice of bread.

I hope that I have given you all some ideas for some simple meals that don't take a rocket scientist to make, or a chef.


No comments:

Post a Comment