Friday, April 12, 2013

Home...

As I have lived in 3 different states, 4 different towns or cities in the last year and a half, I have learned that home really is where the heart is.

I started my journey in my hometown in a 2 bedroom one and a half bath apartment. It was cramped but spacious for what we paid.

The next move was 8 hours south. We lived in a much to large 3 bedroom house with one bathroom. We thought we would always live in at least a 3 bedroom with hopefully 2 bathrooms.

That idea changed when I fell in love with a cute almost 100 year old 2 bedroom 1 bathroom home an hour north. The appeal of getting out of the country and back into a larger city and into a house with a fenced in yard appealed to me. Then, I hated it. I hated the heat or lack of it. I hated the pink tub, the water damaged ceilings and walls. I hated the Texas chainsaw massacre half basement. And I missed the city.

When B got a job offer that was too good to refuse, I was elated. However, it meant another move. I hate moving. This time, it would be the last time we would move to another state. I hated moving C so much and I wanted to give her roots.

The biggest hurdle was that I would be moving everything myself. A car, a trailer and a house full of furniture. I dreaded it.

Our furniture was really just not picked out for the matching part of it. Our living room set was a modern sectional with tables built into the couch, loveseat, and coffee table/ottoman. We had had it for awhile and after at one point 3 cats and 2 puppies, it was tired. It never really was our style, just in our price range.

The bedroom set, I had before I ever got married. It was almost 10 years old and served it's purpose. I think B always secretly hated it. It was in good shape. And I owned it.

C's bedroom furniture was all free. And she hated it.

We had a few amazing pieces, some antiques that we picked up along the way, but with our last leg of our journey, we needed a clean slate. The fact that we would be moving into a one bedroom loft helped too. We had no room and no way to transport it all. So, I sold everything except our king mattress and box spring and table and chairs.

B and I would furniture shop via text. Or rather, I picked out stuff for his approval. Our idea is a work in progress but a labor of love. I wanted to create a bright, retro industrial theme for our home. I only have 459 square feet to work with, but I am up for the challenge.

The furniture we kept is being stored. No room for it here. I also wanted to craft a spa like feel to our bathroom. I think it may be the last thing to be completed but it has had a few minor changes to it already.

I can't wait. Home is where my heart is. C and B, they have my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment